Blog Archive

Monday, July 22, 2013

Don't Be a Bully!




Time has really flown this summer! With school already peaking its head around the corner teachers, parents and students are getting ready to head back to school. Some are excited to go back while others are dreading the first day.

Some of these children who are dreading the first day could be the victim of a bully.  Bullying has become a major problem in the schools! 77% of students admit to being the victim of a bully! More than 3/4 students!




Through some research I have found 9 different types of bullying here are the ones that I have seen the most:

  • Cyber Bullying –

With technology becoming more and more popular this form of bullying has become more popular as well. Cyber bullying includes sending emails or tests that are mean or that threaten a person, spreading hurtful rumors, using social media(Facebook, Twitter, Etc) to post or send mean or threatening messages, and breaking into someone’s account.

  • Verbal Bullying –

When someone says something mean to you or threatens you.

  • School Bullying—

This type of bullying is any form of bullying that takes place on school property. In a school setting bullies will gang up on a victim and harass them throughout the day.
Around 1/3 of students 12-18 years old have reported being bullied according to National Center for Education.
That is an alarming number! This however does not include the students who did not report what was going on.

  • Text Bullying –

This type of bullying is bullying that is done by sending threatening, mean and hurtful, messages on a cell phone.
Workplace Bullying –
This is when people are bullied in the work place. Workplace bullying can happen at any time in your life.
  • Physical bullying –

Which includes: stealing from an individual, fighting, sexual harassment, and practical jokes.
There are lots of signs that a child has been physically bullied they include and are not limited to:
  •  Having bruises and cuts frequently
  •  Frequently saying they do not feel well before school
  •  Becoming extra sad or depressed
  •  Losing their personal belongings at school with no explanation


           
Let’s Get Personal

I personally was a victim of bullies. My 9th grade was a living nightmare. Although I hated going to school I still went almost every day. I was called ugly in every way imaginable. As a 14 year old girl you can imagine how that would hurt my self-esteem. From that year until after high school I went on thinking that these bullies were right. Even thought I was only bullied for one year of school what they said stuck with me until I graduated. 4 years that is a long time for it to stick with a person.

Honestly most of my family will find out about my bullying from reading this blog. Why you might ask. Back then I didn't want to bother them with my little problem. I feared that if I told them they would contact the school or do something which would cause the bullying to become more frequent.
When I talk to some friends about it they have asked how I got through that year and it is honestly a mystery. I had a small group of friends that I mainly saw in school but unlike now I was very shy and intimidated by making new friends.


How can we help?   We can tell children to:

  • Ignore the bully! This may be very hard to do (I know it sure was for me) but if they don’t make you angry by saying something they are less likely to continue. They only want to upset you and get you to react to them.


  • Tell an adult or some type of authority figure! If you let someone know they can keep an eye out for the bullying behavior to try and correct it.

  • Don’t lash back at the bully! If you start calling them names they will just feed into it more and continue to bully you.

  • Remember you are not alone! When you are being bullied it starts to feel like you are alone and that everyone is picking on you. Not true! There is always someone that you can turn to. You might not see it right away but don’t give up! Find that person! It will make dealing with the bullies a lot easier!




Hmmm when does this all start?


I took a poll of 105 friends, coworkers and family (ages ranging from 18 - 72) asking when they believe bullying starts. More than half believes it begins in elementary school. Where do you stand is it in preschool, elementary or do you believe it starts at another time??




Bullying is a major problem! Children are taking their lives so they don't have to deal with the bullying anymore. We as teachers, professionals, parents, grandparents, friends, and families have to find ways to help these children! 

If you want to look up more statistics you can check out http://www.bullyingstatistics.org/

No comments:

Post a Comment