Blog Archive

Monday, June 24, 2013

Traditions

I was recently reading some news from around the world when I came across something very interesting on BBC News.

A Nordic tradition where children take their nap outside in the snow. You read right outside in the snow!

Here is the full article:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-21537988


I do feel that children need to get lots of fresh air and time outside but napping in the snow seems a bit crazy to me. While they are in a warm area called a pram it still seems a bit dangerous to me. There is plenty of time for children to be outside when they are not napping.

Everyone around knows that the children are sleeping outside. Have any of these children been kidnapped? This is something I would worry about. You have all these children throughout neighborhoods sleeping outside. There are some pretty sick people out there who would go in there and steal these children to work in factories and other places. I would not want to risk it.

The article states that the children are less likely to catch coughs and colds by sleeping outside than being inside with the rest of the class. I work in a daycare now and we do go outside frequently. I feel the more you are around colds and germs the stronger your immune system becomes. I know if I am outside in the cold for a long period of time I start to get stuffy.

This tradition has been going on for a very long time and they all swear it works and is better for the children but I still have some doubts.

I know personally I would never have my children sleep outside in freezing cold temperatures.

No comments:

Post a Comment