Blog Archive

Tuesday, June 4, 2013

The Family said what?

A few days ago I wrote about some comments that were said by early childhood teachers. Today we are going to look at some of the comments that are made by families with children in an early childhood classroom.

There are five of these comments which are probably made frequently around the country:



1.    “I send my child to preschool so that he can learn. The teacher’s job is to make sure he does. I resent being asked to volunteer in the classroom.”


                   Me: The teacher is helping your child learn but showing your child that you care and are there to support their learning will make a huge difference. Children feel special when their parents come into the classroom and help out. Show them you are supportive!


     2. "I did not like school when I was a student I am not comfortable being in the classroom." 

Me: School has changed so much in the past couple years. Just keep in mind that you are there for your child. Do not let them know that you did not like school! Keep school a positive place for them that way they keep the urge to stay in school and keep working to finish their degree. 

3. "I don't want those teachers at my daughter's daycare telling me how to raise my children. I won't go to any of the parent meetings as long as they're telling me what to do."

Me: These teachers have your child's best interest in mind. They want to make sure that your child is growing and learning. If they give you suggestions of what to do they are just trying to help. Teachers do not want to tell you how to raise your child. 

4. "School is school. Home is home." 

Me: School should feel like a second home for the children. School needs to be a safe loving environment where kids feel safe. Not all children have a safe loving home. 

5. "Children learn to read at school. I'm not a teacher; how can I help my child to learn."

Me: Children learn everywhere not just at school. Parents/guardians can really help children learn to read just by talking with them! Show children familiar signs (restaurants or stores) and read them what it says. Pretty soon they will start to understand letters and be able to begin sounding out words and reading. 



No comments:

Post a Comment